Thursday, February 26, 2009

Patience

Patience (pā-shəns) is the state of endurance under difficult circumstances, which can mean persevering in the face of delay or provocation without becoming annoyed or upset. I feel J and I have grown so much in this area over the past year but still find ourselves being challenged.

I started looking up what the bible had to say about patience and wanted to share what I found. Clearly, patience does not develop overnight in the life of the believer. God’s power and goodness are crucial to the development of patience in His children. Colossians 1:11 tells us that we are strengthened by Him to “great endurance and patience” while James 1:3-4 encourages us to know that trials are His way of perfecting our patience. Our patience is further developed and strengthened by resting in God’s perfect will and timing, even in the face of evil men who “men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes” (Psalms 37:7). Ultimately, our patience is rewarded in the end “because the Lord's coming is near" (James 5:7-8). “The LORD is good to those who wait for Him, To the soul who seeks Him” (Lamentations 3:25).

Alex let us know last night that she is just not quite ready to be weaned off the vent. It's hard to believe but the secretions are not slowing down. It's very typical of RSV and she is still testing positive for it. She does make a little progress everyday which we are so thankful for and we will continue to be patient and put our Hope in God. We appreciate the comments and knowing so many are still checking up on us :)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Nic for your wise words. Josh and I were just talking about our need for patience in a certain issue last ngiht, and it was a great encouragement to me this morning to read your words. Thank you for using this situation to grow and bless others, instead of just being angry at the circumstances, even though they suck! We are still praying for you guys and love you all! claire

Anonymous said...

Wow, I got this scripture e-mailed to me and it lines up with what you're saying, Psalms 46:10 "Be still and know that I AM GOD" I'm not sure what God has in store for the three of you but it's something big, you have touched many lives through this experience and I can't wait to celebrate with you when the little pumpkin is released from the hospital. Cyn GW

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole and Jimmy,

I so enjoyed your words on patience! Your thoughts were so very true. I am praying for darling Alex, also strength for you and Jimmy.

Love,
Lisette

P.S. I actually blogged:) YEA!!

volleykat18 said...

Nic and Jimmy,
I just want you to know that we love you and are praying for you. Those little bodies are so much stronger than us big people give them credit for her. Give her a kiss for us.
xoxoxo
Kat, Bob and RJ

Anonymous said...

Dito to the other comments, it's so wonderful that you express such wisdom and courage during such a trying time. I'm certainly inspired by your family!! Nic & Jimmy I am continuing to pray for Alex's recovery and for your strength.

Peace & Blessing,
Kristy (Infants First Dev. Center)

Cat said...

You guys deserve the patience of the year award...seriously...

Anonymous said...

I need to be reminded of those scriptures today so thank you. I've been a little down lately because Autumn is finally smiling a lot and I know she's laughing but we can't hear her. I want so bad to hear my daughter cry, laugh, and make those swet drinking noises when she drinks her bottle. You reminded me to have patience--one day God will heal her and she will be off the trach and I can hear her sweet voice. :) God Bless--your journey and thoughts helps me each day to get through mine.

Anonymous said...

Nic, you and Jimmy are awesome parents. I'm proud of both of you. And Alex, well, she is just a prescious Angel and I love all 3 of you.
Love,
Nana Carol

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicloe&Jimmy this is Mrs.Leah I'm still praying for baby Alex to recover.I miss her alot I can't wait to hold her in my arms again.I know definetly you can't wait.

Love Mrs.Leah

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicloe&Jimmy this is Mrs.Leah I'm still praying for baby Alex to recover.I miss her alot I can't wait to hold her in my arms again.I know definetly you can't wait.

Love Mrs.Leah

Amanda said...

I just wanted you to know that I check your blog often to see how your sweet baby is doing. She reminds me so much of my Zachy, I think they even look alike! The scriptures are a powerful source of strength and hope and I am glad you have found comfort in them. This must me so hard for you all. I'm glad Alex is slowly improving and will keep praying for her.

Amanda (Baby Center)

Anonymous said...

Here's to continued progress for Hope to get rid of the nasty RSV and get better quick. Can't wait to see her tomorrow. Hugs kisses, and prayers for the 3 of you.
Love,
Aunt Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hope the rest of last night went well. I really cant believe how much she is growing! I just love the rolls! Will be looking forward to the next update :)
~Nat