Monday, February 16, 2009

Are we over the hump yet?


I showed up this morning to find our baby with a CPAP mask on. After a long night of spiking fevers and her oxygen levels dipping this morning, they decided to put a CPAP mask on Alex. CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) delivers a stream of compressed air via the nose mask you see in the picture. The nasal cannula she typically has in was no longer enough. Her little arms are restrained because she wants to pull the mask off, but they did give her some sleeping meds that help calm and relax her.

I was only here for 10 minutes when her O2 levels dropped and her nurse had to bag her. About half an hour later, she dropped again and I had to yell down the hallway for help. She wasn't recovering on her own so a doc had to bag her again. It's pretty scary when this happens and as a parent your heart drops and you just go into panic mode. They've stopped her feeds as there is a 50% chance, if the CPAP doesn't improve her condition, she will need to go on a ventilator. Most kids peak at 3-4 days but the docs think the recovery from the surgery has prolonged the RSV and so we may be seeing the worst of it now.

Please say a prayer for Alex today. It's hard for us to see our baby girl so sick. We know ultimately everything is in Gods hands and He is here with us. We appreciate all of the support from family and friends and always look forward to reading your comments :)

7 comments:

Colleen said...

Oh, poor baby. It hurts me to see her so sick, so I can only imagine how you're feeling. Nate had RSV at about that age, and after 5 days in the hospital, he still needed O2, and we brought him home on it for another week. I guess having to recover from surgery makes it a lot tougher too. I'll be praying for her.

Anonymous said...

I know she is angry that they are tying her hands down. Praying for her and for you all too, that is so hard for you to see her like that and to go through all that with her.
Love you,
Nana Carol

Anonymous said...

Oh! Her little body is probably so tired by now. Praying for you all!
~Auntie Natalie

Anonymous said...

I feel like such a slacker in the support dept. I had been checking fairly regularly and enjoyed Hope's first gig, but I dropped the ball for just a few days, I thought and then when I read all of these postings, I was upset with myself for not being faithful. Please know that we will rachet up our prayers for Princess Hope. Apparently, even though I had been unfaithful the Lord has continued to be very faithful and many amazing things have been done for this sweet little one. I know how tired and drained from waiting for surgery, for word, for progress you both must be. Hold on. With love, Richard and Nancy

Anonymous said...

Your right. It is ultimately in God's hands. Not sure why some babies have to go through so much, but he knows who to give it to. He knows Alex is a fighter and can overcome all this. He knows you two are the parents that can guide her through. My love and prayers are with you.
~Uncle Nick

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for a speedy recovery for the little DARLING. Nicole & Jimmy this is for the both of you. Isaiah 41:10 "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Cynthia Goodwill

Anonymous said...

This is Mrs.Leah im praying for alex and hoping she's doing better. I can't wait for her to come back to the daycare to take care of her, if you don't mind will you please call me at the daycare for futher inforomation. I miss her so much love you all