Monday, February 16, 2009

CPAP to BiPAP


Alex has been sleeping most of the afternoon and the docs have managed to stabilize her. Right after lunch the docs were concerned about her elevated CO2 levels. Basically they do a VBG (venus blood gas) which is a blood draw that measures the levels of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood. In other words, they are looking closely at the O2 coming into the body during inhalation and carbon dioxide leaving the body during exhalation. Because her CO2 levels were elevated they switched her to a BiPAP mask that covers both her nose and mouth and aids oxygenation and ventilation, minimizing carbon dioxide rebreathing. They had to rig a mask to fit her face because she just happens to be inbetween sizes but it's seems to be working so far.

Please keep the prayers coming as the situation is still very delicate.

6 comments:

Scott said...

Hi Guys, Thanks for keeping everyone posted through the blog. We enjoy seeing the day by day posts. We have kept you in our thoughts and prayers.
We love you guys.
-Scott & Lauren

Anonymous said...

N, J, and A-

I just checked out your blog and I wanted you to know that I still think of you all super often! I hope that little A has a speedy recovery. I have people all over MO praying for her! May God heal her and give you peace.

J

genell said...

I am so sorry that you and your baby is going through so much. I know personally how stressful it can be. I do want you to know it it is harder on mon and dad then Hope right now. When my co2 level rose and I stopped breathing i did not know or feel a thing but my family did. Once when my neice was being born in the same hospital i was in and they called a code blue to my room, my nephew ran out of the delivery room to come to my room. All I remember is when I woke up he was standing by my bed crying. however the blood gas test is hard on you so if they have to do very many on Hope talk to them about a pic line again. We love and pray for you all every day and night.
love aunt genell, GG, and Mia

Anonymous said...

Thanks for updating us. It helps alot. We are all praying for you. You are constantly in my thoughts.
Love,
Nana Carol

budshuh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
budshuh said...

Shelby and I feel like we are right there with you guys. It is difficult to read your blog because it takes us back to our situation. As you know, we know what you're going through. We went through the same exact surgery with Bella. We experienced RSV, gas tests, and ventilators. We know what it's like to hope, pray, and lose sleep for a little girl. It's all worth it. It helps us as parents to do all we can for our children and whether we know it or not, those children know we love them. Greater even than that love, though, is the love God has for us. He loves us more than we know. He weeps when we weep. He rejoices when we rejoice. A scripture that greatly encouraged us when we went through our ordeal was "His love endures forever." His love will make everything right eventually. We pray for you guys and offer ourselves to you if you want to talk to someone who has been where you are. Cat has our phone number and email. Blessings, Buddy and Shelby