Friday, August 1, 2008

What can you do?


We accidentally overslept this morning - something we have a feeling won't be happening again. In fact, we absolutely can't wait to bring our little alarm clock home.

It's crazy to see all of you going through this with us, the good posts and the bad. We are continually amazed by the emotions that flow through this seemingly impersonal medium.

Many people have asked us what we they can do to help us. We heard that meals are difficult to prepare with a newborn, and Cindy H. is doing a wonderful job of coordinating that aspect. We also want to thank the Hills and Geppelts for the meals they've brought to us the past few nights. My mom has been doing such a terrific job of helping out around the house, and will continue to be after we bring Alex home. I know Kathleen and Nat plan to also come help us out with that (thank you), so I really think we're covered as far as those types of needs, too.

But there is something else we would like. It's much easier, and way more important (and something many of you are already doing). Don't take life for granted. The tragedy of Frank Bingham suddenly losing his wife & kids has had a profound impact on us and our daily life. We saw how precious life really is, and how everything you love dearly can be snatched in an instant. I won't even compare our situation to his, but it taught us to love each other fully every day, as if you won't have the opportunity tomorrow.

Do the same with your spouse, mother, child. Hug him or her tightly and thank them for being who they are. Let the petty things that come between you slide, because they really are petty. As Matt put it: "be happy to wake up at 3am to hold your baby when it cries," because some people aren't even able to do that.

We're not just being humble when we say that's all we want you to do. Because having that perspective will change your life more profoundly than any gift you could ever give. And as you do that for us, it helps us know that all of this was worth it a thousand times over.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know I am checking everyday and keeping track of progress. I am so glad everything is looking good. Little Alex is such a beautiful baby. Also i want you to know you made me cry with the latest update. Often we take the ones we love for granted, and sometimes hearing of someone elses tragedies makes us stop and think. I also want to say I LOVE YOU BRO, and I cannot wait to see that beautiful baby. I just hope it will be before she is a teenager :) Mom has been keeping me posted too. ILOVE YOU GUYS. and as always my thoughts and prayers are with you. p.s just so you know i have been praying she will be as big a brat as mine are. :) xoxoxoxo

Unknown said...

Thanks for the last post.

More tears- but a big, huge, AMEN !

Cat said...

Thanks for being so willing to share everything that's going on. I love the picture. And I love how she sleeps with her little arms over her head. She's so sweet.
Still praying...
Love!

genell said...

i never have blogged nor do i do My space. sometime i can barely e-mail. just ask your mom but I love Hope's blog. i check it every night before I go to bed so I can pray for her and you guys every step of the way. It makes me feel i am right there with you guys. She is getting better everyday and i cam't wait to meet her.
love aunt genell