Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Another Hospital Stay

It's been a long day here at Children's Hospital. Alex had her suture site stitched up in the ER last night which did stop the drainage. Although no infection was detected, she was put on antibiotics and we stayed the night in the ER observation room.

Doctor Handler saw Alex early this morning around 7:30 and scheduled her head ultrasound for late morning. We waited until mid afternoon to hear from him again. He told us the fluid in Alex's ventricles had increased significantly over the past few days and she would need to be admitted into the NICU. He explained that an external drain would need to be put in again first thing Wednesday morning and they would continue to monitor Alex for infection over the next few days. He also told us that he was going to schedule Alex to have the shunt surgery for Saturday.

We are here at the hospital with our baby girl tonight and are staying in what they call a family sleep room close by as they didn't have any private rooms available. We are learning our way around this new hospital and have only heard great things about the care she will receive while here.

Times are tough but we will be looking forward to reading your comments to brighten our day.

-N&J

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys - hang in there. I will be praying for little Alex this morning with all my heart and soul. God is faithful and is with you and little Alex constantly. Kelsey has been praying for "Baby Alex" too. She keeps asking me about her and telling me that they will be friends when Alex gets bigger.

Cindy

Anonymous said...

hearts, prayers and thoughts are with you. Stay strong. Your little girl is such a trouper...Taylor

Anonymous said...

Tough day! Im sure a new hospital is kinda tough when you are used to St Joes. God and all of us are still/always with you. I wish I could leave a comment every hour saying we are here to reassure you but that's not possible :) Anyway, hope you feel my love/support when you read this! Love you all!
~Auntie Natalie

Anonymous said...

I love you three and pray for all of you. You are already a strong family because you have God on your side as well as lots of family and friends. Give Alex a hug and kiss from Nana Carol.

Cat said...

I was thinking about Alex this morning. I wish there was something I could do or if I just prayed hard enough it would make everything ok.
Just know that you guys are constantly in my thoughts and prayers.
Love you all so much.

Cat

Anonymous said...

I just got off the phone w/ my Grandpa who is 86 & has struggled w/ major health issues since his early 20's & he just kept saying how much everything is in the Lord's hands...I know the same is true for little Alex, the Lord is holding her constantly & he'll never let go!! You are all in my prayers.
Lauren Heyl

Anonymous said...

Just saw the blog and got the update. Will be praying that the doctors have great wisdom as they continue to work with Alex; that Alex will continue to show the strength that she has become known for; and that you two will continue to persevere during this tough time.

Blessing guys! Josh

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update, as always, we are thinking about you all.
Leftwich

Dale said...

Diffees,

I just lifted yall up to the LORD. HE is able.

Dale, Brian D.

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you at The Crossing. I love the pictures you posted. The Lord is our Rock, keep leaning and trusting Him. He is good. We love you guys.
Crystal

Unknown said...

Friends,
I've updated the prayer list at the Denver Rescue Mission about Alex's situation. We'll be praying.
Lon Gregg

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

Hang in there. Sometimes life gets really tough when we do not understand what is going on or what the future holds. God is good. Continue to read His Word daily and pray. Continue to surround yourselves with like-minded believers who Gad can use to encourage you.

Gary Geppelt