Ninety percent of SB kids need a shunt. After pulling the temp. shunt, all the docs and nurses are 90 percent certain our SB kid will need one too. These are not very good odds for us, nor have they been from the beginning. But it hasn't deterred us from praying that we're in that other 10.
When we talked to Dean (our Pastor and friend) about how to pray in situations like this, even when it looks like God's will may not be in line with what we want, he told us "there's absolutely nothing wrong with praying for the desires of your heart." And this is one we prayed many times - trust me. Sometimes the most difficult thing to ask for is that His will be done. We would have never prayed that our daughter go through this. But we have reached out to Him in faith, trusting that he has a significant plan for Alex's life. I think this is something everyone reading this blog knows without a doubt - there is something special about this child (tears well up as I type this).
She's touched so many lives, and she's barely a week old. This is something else I've prayed about, since the day she was conceived. When praying that God would help us to conceive a child, I wanted it it be on His terms, not just mine, praying that it would be a child of God (although not really knowing what that means. Like I said before - we're not really holy people, just 2 average people with an above average desire to experience God's love). In fact, I've never prayed for anything so much in my life as I have for this girl, and I can safely say the same of Nic. I've also never had so many people rallying behind me as now. It's an amazing feeling.
I know not everyone reading this is able to pray to God. Many of you simply think positive things for us, and wish us well, not even knowing if there is a true God. Maybe a "God, if you exist, please help them." I believe God answers these requests just as faithfully as those of "prayer warriors" and organized prayer chains, and I thank you for being on this journey with us. I hope someday this simple acknowledgment will turn into a real desire to find out who God is, because that's all it takes to find Him.
So...back to the terrible odds we've faced. 90 percent chance our baby will go through surgery this afternoon. We've been expecting the inevitable. But it happens that Dr. Handler just made the call that we're in the other 10 percent, and our baby Alex is going home without a shunt. Can you believe it? We're in awe, and don't even know how to express our joy.
Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers. We'll def keep you updated on the details, and what we're to expect next as soon as we find more out. We love you all.