Thursday, December 15, 2011

The waiting game


Alex is stable and moving in the right direction.  Her vent settings are improving and they are keeping her comfortable for the most part. She was pretty "snowed" last night and her blood pressures low so they backed off a bit on her pain med which made her more active and feisty earlier this morning.  She has a ton of secretions and she is coughing a lot so gets really agitated when they suction and mess with her. Although hard to see as a parent it's a good sign to be active, moving around and breathing more and more on her own. She will need to be weaned from the pain meds and sedation eventually to be extubated but until then it's a juggling act to manage her pain.  When she is agitated I'm reminded that she is also getting an amnesia med so she won't remember any of this.  This does make me feel better (in a weird way). 

We are still in a bit of shock that Alex's condition escalated to this level.  We knew she was getting sick and figured she'd be a direct admit from her PCP visit.  Instead we were transferred to the emergency department for the day and then finally to the floor Monday evening. Her condition went downhill shortly after we settled in and within a couple of hours they were calling a RRT (rapid response team) to evaluate her deteriorating condition.  Everything happened so fast from that point on and she was rushed to the PICU.  Despite their best efforts to stabilize her with less invasive measures she ended up needing to be intubated.  It wasn't until early afternoon yesterday that things settled down and her labs were looking much better.     

We are finally getting some of the tests and cultures back and miss Alex tested positive for RSV.  Unfortunately this is not foreign to us and Alex kicked off respiratory season in the PICU a couple years ago with RSV.  Because it's viral we basically have to wait for it to run its course.  The ventilator is allowing Alex's little body to rest and heal as it does most of the breathing work for her.  She is looking as good as could be expected so we are happy with that.  We pray that God continues to have His healing hand on her and that she makes a speedy recovery.

5 comments:

Lin said...

After sending you an email, I went to your blog to get an update on Alex. I want to thank you again for caring about our family. I am overwhelmed that you found time to email me while your little Alex is in the hospital. You and your husband are special parents chosen by God to raise your little girl. I believe Jill and Sean are those special parents too! My thoughts are with your family, praying for a speedy recovery. Lin

C Holmes said...

Hey Nicole, know your "MI family" is holding that angel baby girl up in prayer - along with her darling family. Love from Momma and Papa Holmes, Gramma Dorothy & Nana
Nahum 1:7
Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

I was hanging out & decided to check the blog. It saddens me to know that you guys are going through this again! I
Wish I could take away all the pain and worries you are enduring! You & Jimmy are such strong amazing people, it's no secret where Alex gets all her strength and her will to fight through these illnesses from! Just know that you have a ton of love, support & prayers being sent your way! Love you guys! Jenene ;)

Stacey Chavez said...

I am so glad to hear that my little angel Alex is improving each day! I had Alex on my mind all day praying that she will soon be home with her loving family! I just have to share this with you guys, everyday when Wendy and I pick her up from school, the first thing that she says to us is " HI MY BABY " and she has the BIGGEST smile on her face and she just lights up our day! I can't imagine how you guys are feeling or what you are going through but just remember we are here for you always! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year! Please give Alex a BIG hug for me and tell her I will see her soon!

Stacey Chavez
Bus Monitor

Wendy - Route 23 said...

I have been thinking of my "baby doll" everyday since I read of her illness. I was glad to read your last post that things were improving for Alex and hope that they continue to look up. I keep her in my prayers and I am anxiously waiting to see her in the new year!! I wish your family the best and God will be taking care of your sweet girl! Give her a high five from her "crazy driver" and I can't wait to hear what she has to tell me next!!