Sunday, December 18, 2011

Holding steady

Alex had a really good day and is more alert and opening her eyes.  She is still sedated but on a different sedative now that allows her to be more responsive while remaining comfortable and calm. It's so good to see her beautiful eyes again and every once in a while she gives us a wink which melts our heart. She's been watching football with daddy and we've been able to read her books and even put on Elmo's World.  We are thankful for her progress and steady state.  She wasn't ready for any settings to be turned down on the vent today but she is breathing more on her own which is one step closer to losing the tube.

Ryan is still not feeling well and having a rough time so we are hoping she will get some much needed rest tonight.  We are thinking she may have RSV because she has all the cold-like symptoms, it's a common virus easily spread by siblings and most kids get it by age 2. 

Ryan has her own little way of letting us know she misses Alex and we hope to have them playing together soon again.  The hospital just went on respiratory season visitation restrictions which will last until mid April and no kids under the age of 13 are allowed to visit, period.  This makes things a little challenging for us and Jimmy and I pretty much only see each other in passing when we trade off the home and hospital shifts.  My mom did hang out with Ryan today for awhile and Jimmy and I had a meal together for the first time in a week and hung out with Alex so that was nice (thanks mom). Anyways, we'll see what tomorrow brings.  Keep the thoughts and prayers coming our way =)

3 comments:

Stacey Chavez - bus monitor said...

I am so glad to hear that Alex is making great progress! I check this blog everyday waiting anxiously to see any news! I hope that Ryan gets better real soon! I have been saying prayers everynight for the Diffee family and hope that Alex will be home soon with her loving family! My older son Nicholas goes to Guardian Angels Catholic school and in mass on friday his class said a prayer for Alex hoping she gets well soon! When Nicholas told me that his class did that it brought tears to my eyes and a smile to my face! I was very proud of them! I just thought I would share this with you guys and hope it puts a smile on your face! Take care and I can't wait to see our little angel Alex again!

Anonymous said...

Glad things are looking up! Haven't checked in on the blog (or email with jimmy)lately, so just reading all this today. Anyway, as always, thinking of you all here in KY..Happy Holiday and hope you all can spend it together.

Leftwich

Anonymous said...

Thinking and praying for all of the Diffee's now. Get healthy and home together again soon! We love you and Alex, we will sing it later!!!
Auntie Lisa and Selena