Alex & family are doing great. We're 1 week of hospital free, and hope to keep it going.
Many people have been asking us if there's anything they can do to help, and there happens to be an opportunity coming up to help out with Alex and her cause. The Spina Bifida Association of Colorado is holding their annual 5K walk/run/roll fundraiser on Mothers' Day (May 10) and we're participating. So we're reaching out to others to join us at the event, or by sponsoring us.
Funds raised from this event give SBAC the opportunity to provide a variety of services to children and adults in Colorado with Spina Bifida, such as:
- Scholarships for seminars, camps and recreational activities, such as: horseback riding, skiing and Jr. Wheelchair Sports Camp.
- Direct financial assistance to member families. Assistance is also offered to families to attend the National Annual Conference of the Spina Bifida Association of America (SBAA).
- Handcycles for loan to children with Spina Bifida living in Colorado. SBAC currently has 13 handcycles on loan to families.
- Equipment Loan Program. In addition to handcycles, SBAC helps families recycle their wheelchairs, walkers, crutches and other equipment their children have outgrown or no longer use.
- Publication of a quarterly newsletter as a way to keep members informed on changes in medical treatment, education, recreational opportunities and research on Spina Bifida.
- Availability of information to educators about the problem areas that children with Spina Bifida encounter in school.
- Wheelchair Awareness Program for elementary schools to use in sensitizing classmates to the difficulties an individual has when using a wheelchair.
- Speakers Bureau for community, education and parent groups interested in learning about Spina Bifida.
- Support to families of newborns and new families transferring to Colorado.
We've set up a Facebook cause that accepts donations.
To donate without going through Facebook, click the button below. I think the standard donation (for the event) is $20, but you can donate as much or as little as you like.
or SUPPORT THIS CAUSE ON FACEBOOK
-The Philanthropical Diffees