Monday, September 21, 2009

Big-girl spoon

The last couple of weeks have been full of trying new things. We've had some minor setbacks with eating solids recently but between new spoons and thickening, we seem to be back on track. We are still working on lots of tummy time which will ultimately help strengthen Alex's trunk and neck muscles and in turn help her gain more control when eating and hopefully stop aspirating (at least we hope this is the case). Alex is finally showing some interest in holding her own spoon and feeding herself. Her OT suggested we start putting food on her tray and let her play with it but she's much more intrigued by feeding herself with a spoon so that's what we've been working on. I have to admit that giving Alex control of a spoonful of food is hard and I have to just get over her getting messy, especially when the veggies go straight into the hair.

The weather has been amazing lately and we've been spending as much time as we can outside. We squeezed in one last camping trip with the fam a couple of weeks ago and we are laying low and spending a lot of time at home and in our backyard away from the crowds.

Here's a video of Alex's semi-success with feeding herself.




12 comments:

Vee Day said...

This is awesome!!! I was clapping for her at my desk, cheering her on. I forget that I sit in a cubicle now. Ha ha. I am so proud of her! Love Vee

Cat said...

She is getting so big! Love the video. She's so sweet.

AW said...

Two things...

I love her stare into the camera. Don't we all get a little self-conscious when someone's "staring"? LOL!

And I love her look of accomplishment when she finally gets it in the end.

She's adorable! Such a blessing to all of us watching her growth.

A&N

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole and Jimmy,

Great job, Alex!!!! I loved the video--she is so adorable!! Alex you are doing an awesome job:)

Love,
Lisette

Anonymous said...

OMG I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. She is the cutest thing and such a wonderful blessing.
Love you all
Nana Carol

Anonymous said...

She is such a doll!

Lacy said...

Okay, that video cracked me up, She's so adorable and is just like Autumn with her head leaned to the side and eating. Our OT wants us to let Autumn use the spoon but she still is at the shaking it all around stage and the mess has me not wanting to let her do it. ;) Alex is doing so good at putting it to her mouth..so sweet.

Anonymous said...

I think that I have read that foods make the greatest hair care products---they do wonderful things for shine and body. She is just so into product! It sounds like all of us are going to be hiding out a bit more this coming season from all of the possible uber germs. You all have your own entertainment! Love you all, Nancy and Richard Day

Anonymous said...

Oh my...what a camera shy little girl...NOT!!! She is doing great and a little dirtiness never hurt anyone before...so thinking you will adjust. As for the hair..Garnier FRUCTIS says a lot and she will have the longest pony tail around Denver!
Love and hugs,
Great Aunt Lisa

Unknown said...

My mom gave me the address to this blog site when I asked if she knew how Alex was doing. She is getting so big and cute as ever. I hope you all are doing well.

Aspen

Anonymous said...

I love hearing those laughs! :) I can't wait to spend more time with your sweet, smiley girl. Love to you all, Stephanie

Dillfam said...

She's SO stinkn CUTE! I can't stand it!